We Act is a campaign to celebrate the impact of Ireland's charities and community groups.
It elevates the positive stories and acknowledge the remarkable, everyday efforts of thousands of people around the country.
It is a collaborative campaign and is supported by The Community Foundation for Ireland RTÉ Does Comic Relief Fund.
The Steering Group
This campaign is being executed by a steering group made up of six organisations, Volunteer Ireland, The Wheel, Charities Institute Ireland, Boardmatch, Dóchas, and Disability Federation of Ireland. It has been developed with intensive consultation with stakeholders at every level.
Why a campaign?
The response to Covid-19 illuminated how charities and community groups do incredible things. The pandemic demonstrated that in times of real crisis, we are at the forefront of our national response. But this work often goes unseen or is misunderstood.
We have a fresh understanding of what is important and what we value. We have a renewed sense of community. We want a society with more emphasis on equality, justice and work-life balance.
There needs to be a concerted effort to ensure that the goodwill and community cohesion that we saw during Covid-19 continues. If we don't value our charities and community groups, we will loose them.
What are the goals?
- We want to share positive stories. Stories about the people who spot a gap, see a need, take the initiative, and act.
- We want everyone in Ireland to realise that we all benefit from charities and community groups. If you've ever been to the theatre, adopted a dog, played local sports, called a helpline, enjoyed a Tidy Town — you've been impacted.
- We want to encourage participation. We want volunteering and community involvement to be part of the fabric of our society.
- We want to celebrate the people who work and volunteer in our charities and communities. We want them to feel part of something bigger — meaningful societal change.
How to Get Involved
We Act is a campaign for everyone — whether you've worked in a charity for 20 years or you want to find out about volunteering with your local action group.
A few ideas for taking part:
- Follow @WeActIreland on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Use the hashtag #WeAct and tag us online
- Use our toolkit below to print our posters and put them up in your local community spaces, school, workplace, or the window of your home
- Keep an eye out on social media as we unveil new phases of the campaign and new calls to action!
- Research the charities and community groups in your area and find out how you can get involved or support their work
- Support social enterprises where you can — make purchases that count!
- Get involved — volunteer in the charity shop, do the fun run, join the club, start the petition!
Visit www.weact.ie now.