Minister Humphreys announces over €4.1 million in CLÁR funding for rural schools and communities
Minister for Rural and Community Development, Heather Humphreys TD, has announced details of over €4.1 million in funding to support 115 projects in rural communities under Measure 1 and Measure 2 of the 2020 CLÁR programme.
This funding will support the provision of safety measures around schools and community facilities, as well as the development of community recreation areas.
CLÁR provides funding for small scale projects in designated rural areas that have experienced significant levels of population decline.
The programme is one element of the Department of Rural and Community Development’s Rural Development Investment Programme, which provides a package of co-ordinated and complementary supports for rural areas.
The 2020 CLÁR programme places a particular focus on supporting CLÁR communities to deal with the impact of COVID-19 and meeting the needs of communities in these challenging times.
Under the funding announced today, almost €3 million will be provided to projects in 84 communities to provide and improve safety infrastructure such as footpaths, public lighting, pedestrian crossings, speed safety signs and car parking facilities, and to help adapt the environs around schools and community facilities to meet the public health requirements arising from COVID-19 (Measure 1).
A further €1.18 million is being provided to 31 projects for community recreation areas where people can socialise safely outdoors in line with COVID-19 public health guidelines (Measure 2).
Examples of successful projects announced include:
- Co Carlow: Measure 1 - Ballymurphy Community Group, car park improvements (€49,950).
- Co Galway: Measure 1 - Glinsk National School, Drop off area and footpaths (€50,000).
- Co Cavan: Measure 1 – Mullagh Sports and Community Ground, traffic calming works (€50,000).
- Co Leitrim: Measure 2 – Keeldra Lake Amenity, Renewal works and seating area (€16,200).
- Co Kerry: Measure 2 - IRD Waterville CLG, establish an outdoor recreation space and purchase an Outdoor Movie System (€49,941).
Details of the successful projects under Measure 1 and 2 can be found here.