Spraoi agus Spórt Gets €300k RTE Toy Show Appeal Grant
Award-winning social enterprise, Spraoi agus Spórt, has secured €300,000 from the RTE Toy Show Appeal grants for 2022 by the Community Foundation for Ireland. Spraoi Co-Founder & Chief Executive, Helen Nolan, says the grant will fund a new purpose-built Child and Family Hub for Carndonagh.
“We are thrilled to receive one of these Transformative Grants. We now have the opportunity to design a space specifically for the children and families of Inishowen. It is very exciting to imagine what that might look like for Carndonagh.”
“We’ve grown so rapidly since we opened in 2010 – going from a small parent & toddlers’ group to now providing services for over 700 participants a week. To meet demand, we’ve ended up being spread across 8 different locations, which don’t always match our needs.”
“A dedicated hub will be “a game-changer for us and the families and children who use our services. We have developed and delivered creative activities for children for almost 12 years using rented accommodation, repurposed vacant buildings, and civic buildings. These spaces are not built for the services and projects we deliver, and this can restrict numbers and workshop time.”
How the RTE Toy Show Appeal Grant Will Help
“This funding will enable us to build a dedicated space on a town centre site, which can be customised for our needs. It will allow us to expand our inclusive creative and play services, in one central customised location. For the first time we’ll have an outdoor space, “co-designed” with the children, young people, and families we work with. Outdoor play is so important for good mental and physical health and wellbeing.”
“This funding also sends a very important message to our rural community that we deserve the best. So, we want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone at the RTE Toy Show Appeal, the Community Foundation for Ireland and all who have donated to the appeal. Your contributions will help to change the lives of children and families in Inishowen.”
Spraoi agus Spórt Chairperson, Patricia Lee, says the funding is more than a huge financial boost. “It is an affirmation of everything we are doing here at our social enterprise. We are very grateful that the RTE Toy Show Appeal and the Community Foundation have confidence in us to deliver for families and children in our area.”
“At Spraoi, we offer a huge range of social, recreational and educational activities for our community. We have a strong focus on family development, but also on contributing to economic and jobs growth. So, we work to create profits we can invest back into our business, community and local economy.”
Patricia says the grant is also a real boost to the hardworking staff, board, facilitators, and volunteers at Spraoi agus Spórt.
Last year, the Inishowen social enterprise secured funding of almost €10m for a regeneration project to revitalise Carndonagh, economically and socially. They received a grant of €8.2m from the Rural Regeneration & Development Fund – matched by €1.3m in funding from Donegal County Council. That project is due to begin this year, and will include a digital creative hub, new youth space for teenagers, co-working and office spaces, a community kitchen, and a sensory garden.
About RTE Toy Show Appeal
- Inspired by children, the RTE Toy Show Appeal works to bring the magic of the Late Late Toy Show to every child in Ireland. By funding essential support, health, well-being, play and creativity we aim to change children’s lives for good.
- The donations to the RTÉ Toy Show Appeal, are received and managed by registered charity, The Community Foundation for Ireland with whom we work in partnership.
- For more information about The Community Foundation for Ireland, please see here: About Us | The Community Foundation
- Given the level of public support for the Appeal, and with the ambition to help even more children, the RTÉ Toy Show Appeal will return for a third year and will be a part of the Late Late Toy Show on Friday 25th November 2022.
About Spraoi agus Spórt
Spraoi agus Spórt is an award-winning social enterprise based in Carndonagh, Inishowen, Co. Donegal and founded in 2010. They provide high quality inclusive social, recreational and educational activities for the community. Their focus in on family development and having a positive impact on the local community and economy. They have 15 volunteers and serve around 600 participants in their activities every week. Awards they have won include:
- 2022 After School Club of the Year for Ireland at the international Prestige Awards
- 2021 Gold Award for Best Disability Access & Inclusion Initiative at the All-Ireland Community & Council Awards
- 2021 Silver Award for Best Community Based Initiative at the All-Ireland Community & Council Awards
- 2020 Winner Pride of Place – Community Well-Being Initiative
- 2019 & 2018 Winner Social Enterprise of the Year at the Charity Impact Awards
- 2019 Social Enterprise Development Fund Awardee with Rethink Ireland