Governance Code Bootcamp
Governance Code Bootcamp
The Charities Governance Code Bootcamp is a 12-month programme of training and networking to support your organisation to implement the Charities Regulator's Charities Governance Code.
The Charities Governance Code was introduced by the Charities Regulator in late 2018. This programme is designed to help members of The Wheel to work together in 2019 to meet this new compliance challenge.
Structured around a series of 6 themed networking and support sessions, relevant workshops and resources, The Bootcamp will equip participating organisations with the motivation, knowledge and skills to tackle the implementation of the Regulator’s Charities Governance Code.
At the end of the programme the organisations which have gone through the Bootcamp will be prepared for the standards of governance and accountability required by the new Code having:
- Been supported in complying with the 49 standards in the new Code
- Had access to expert training in topics such as Charity Governance, SORP Accounting, GDPR & Data Protection, Human Resources, and Measuring Impact etc.
- Engaged with relevant experts on all 6 principles of the Code.
- Received a suite of specially selected tools and policy templates to support their compliance work.
- Joined a peer-network of like-minded organisations taking a lead on good governance.
Cost and Application Process
The cost for participating in this unique learning and development opportunity is just €400.00 per organisation.
This cost includes:
- 8 training coupons which the organisation can redeem against a variety of relevant training workshops across the year,
- 6 themed networking and support sessions with expert speakers on the 6 principles of the Code,
- Access to expert advice, templates and tools specifically designed to support you on your journey to compliance.
The programme kicks off with an orientation webinar on 13 February and first Networking event takes place on 28 February. (See below for full schedule of events).
Please note: due to high levels of demand for this programme, all suitable applicants may not be able to be accommodated on the current Charities Governance Code Bootcamp. We will work with qualifying applicants to secure them a place on The Wheel's next available Bootcamp.
The Bootcamp is only open to members of The Wheel.
Please complete the application form below and return to Sinead Vaughan, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Monday 11 February.
If you have any questions about the Bootcamp programme please contact:
Mairead O’Connor, Training & Advice Coordinator – email@example.com
Sinead Vaughan, Administration Officer - firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A 12-month series of networking and peer-support sessions
At each of the 6 networking events, participants will:
- hear from an expert on a particular element of the Charities Governance Code (for example financial controls or accountability)
- receive peer-support & networking focused on how each organisation is implementing the principle
- be facilitated to create an action plan
2. Use your 8 Training Coupons to access training on a range of relevant topics such as:
- Board Roles & Responsibilities
- Complying with GDPR
- Measuring Impact
- Financial Governance for Trustees
- Corporate Fundraising
- Using the SORP for your Financial Accounting
- Finance for Non-Financial Managers
- Communications Strategy
- Employment Law
- Understanding Tax Obligations
3. Specially Selected Tools and Templates: Access to a range of policy templates and other resources to help organisations assess, adjust and introduce the relevant governance standards in their organisation.
4. Support Service: Participants will also be able to avail of convenient access (by email and phone) to The Wheel's in-house governance and charity regulation experts.
Orientation & Motivation
A Webinar which sets out the purpose and format of the Bootcamp programme. Introducing the Charities Governance Code and tools and resources to get you started.
Networking session 1
Charities Governance Code Principle 1
Advancing The Charitable Purpose
Exploring the standards for Principle 1; Creating an action plan for implementation of the Code; Establishing the Peer Network; Setting Milestones.
Networking session 2
Charities Governance Code Principle 6
Being Accountable and Transparent
Exploring the standards for Principle 6; Expert input from a Communications Professional on key aspects of implementation & pitfalls; action plan; check-in on progress.
Networking session 3
Charities Governance Code Principle 3
Exploring the standards for Principle 3; Expert input from a HR Professional on key aspects of implementation & pitfalls; action plan; check-in on progress.
Networking session 4
Charities Governance Code Principle 4
Exploring the standards for Principle 4; Expert input from a Financial/Risk Professional on key aspects of implementation & pitfalls; action plan; check-in on progress.
Networking session 5
Charities Governance Code Principle 5
Exploring the standards for Principle 5; Expert input from a Leadership/Governance Professional on key aspects of implementation & pitfalls; action plan; check-in on progress.
Networking session 6
Charities Governance Code Principle 2
Behaving With Integrity
Exploring the standards for Principle 2; Expert input from a Leadership/Governance Leader; review & debrief; final actions plan.
Feedback from Previous Bootcamp Participants:
"It keeps you focused to complete the journey"
- Aishling Brett, Dalton House Day Care Centre
"We are learning what we do well and where we need to improve"
- Ollie O'Connor, Óglaigh Náisiúnta na hÉireann (ONE)