YWCA Ireland are recruiting for a General Secretary
YWCA Ireland (Young Women’s Christian Association of Ireland) is a national women’s organisation which seeks to empower women in their Christian faith, leadership and human rights.
The Association is ‘all island’ and is formed by 5 local associations in Dublin, Greystones, Monaghan, Newcastle (Co. Down) and Lisburn that provide a wide range of activities including youth work, accommodation provision and awareness raising. At a national level YWCA Ireland seeks to support and encourage women as they lead change in our society. Key priorities include faith, gender equality, women’s leadership and social justice. Through our affiliation to the European and World YWCA movement, we create opportunities for women to advocate for their rights at global and regional policy-setting platforms.
At the direction of the Board, the General Secretary will develop and implement YWCA Ireland’s next 3-year strategic plan, ensuring the organisation fulfils its mission and vision.
As the most senior member of staff within the Organisation, the General Secretary will report to the National Board under the line management of the Chairperson.
Job Title: General Secretary YWCA Ireland, 60 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2
Immediate Supervisor: President of the YWCA Ireland Board or Appointed Representative
Main purpose of the role: To lead the organisation in the fulfilment of it’s mission and vision
Weekly Working Hours: Part-time, 4 Days, (30 hours) weekly
Main duties and responsibilities:
● Promote YWCA Ireland through expansion of our stakeholder engagement, effective communication (internal and external), and partnership building;
● Work with the Board to develop and implement YWCA’s strategic plan;
● Develop and pursue operational plans which are consistent with the mission and goals of YWCA Ireland as outlined in its Strategic Plan;
● Ensure the financial viability and long term sustainability of the organisation;
● Build and maintain effective partnerships and networking relationships with current and appropriate future stakeholders;
● Design and maintain effective communication and public relational tools
● Support the national executive committee in its implementation of board policy;
● Attend all national board, trust corporation meetings as requested
● Prepare and submit quarterly and annual reports to the national board as required;
● Perform managerial duties for administrative staff in Head Office;
● Provide human resources support for local centres as required;
● Provide support and supervision for managers as required;
● Carry out and monitor governance responsibilities for YWCA Ireland as required by the national board;
● Carry out and monitor auditing and financial reporting responsibilities for YWCA Ireland as required by the national board;
● Furthermore, the General Secretary shall perform other duties as assigned by the national board of YWCA Ireland.
● Relevant degree and 5 years senior management experience
7 years senior management experience
Required skills and abilities:
● Strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate, to foster a healthy organizational culture, and to encourage teamwork and collaboration;
● Proven leadership skills gained in management/supervisory positions,
● Excellent communication skills – both in written communications and in public speaking
● Ability to plan organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, developing policies and procedures, budgeting and organizing the functions and training necessary to accomplish the activities);
● Effective time management and budgeting skills.
● Experience in the non-profit/charity/voluntary sector, particularly in fundraising, grant proposals or donor relations.
● Demonstrable commitment to the mission and vision of YWCA Ireland
● Computer literacy skills