Family Carer Project Officer
Family Carer Project Officer
Project Officer to assist family carers to engage with the labour market (incl. self-employment opportunities) and/or training and education opportunities.
Job Title : Family Carer Project Officer
Duration : 31/5/21 to 30/6/22
Probationary Period : 3 months
Hours : 24.5 hours per week
Reporting to : CEO, FORUM Connemara CLG
Location : Letterfrack, FORUM Connemara
Salary : €25,200 p.a.
FORUM is a rural development partnership of voluntary, community and statutory bodies based in Connemara, with the objective of putting in place strategies and programmes to tackle the problem of rural decline and peripherality. FORUM Connemara was established to tackle economic and social disadvantage through increasing the capacity of groups and individuals within the project area. This work has continued over the last thirty years, implementing all its programmes using the principles of community development.
Aim of the Family Carers Programme:
To support Family Carers to increase their employment opportunities (incl. self-employment opportunities) and / or transition into employment, education or training.
The objectives of the programme are:
· Support Family Carers to manage both work and or training and education and their caring responsibilities.
· Raise awareness of the challenges for Family Carers and support employers to provide employment and continue to support Family Carers in their employment e.g. flexible hours and/or working arrangements, including recognition of skills.
· Provide opportunities and access to education/training for Family Carers; thus, providing a break from caring and improving their employment or self-employment opportunities whilst caring and/or post caring.
· In supporting family carers, it is also important that the support provided: contributes to improving Carers’ health and wellbeing, reducing loneliness and isolation; including early interventions to prevent crisis situations arising.
·Provides opportunities for Carers to meet with each other and engage and connect with the local community, particularly in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic.
- To work as part of FORUM Connemara’s social care team to deliver the aims of the programme
- Establish a rapport with the participants and develop a positive working relationship
- To work with participants, project partners, key stakeholders & the wider community to identify eligible participants who wish to progress into training/education and employment/work placements/volunteer placements
- Using community development principles and methodologies, partner and network with relevant organisations in order to optimise progression into training, work placements and voluntary opportunities within the wider community
- Develop a plan around each eligible participant in consultation with the participant which will include their employment aspirations, experiences, abilities, skills and potential obstacles to employment
- Identify potential local workplace, work shadowing, education and training opportunities for participants
- Promote the Family Carers Programme to employers, community & voluntary groups and the wider community
- Support employers to identify government supports for new employees
- Participant mentoring
- Report to CEO, management committee and the board on a regular basis regarding progress
- Maintain high professional standards and confidentiality at all times
- Participate in training and development programmes (Garda Vetting, safeguarding training are mandatory).
- Liaise and network with relevant organisations
- Carry out any other function relevant to the position of Project Worker as indicated from time to time.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive. The post-holder will be expected to adopt a flexible attitude to the duties and work hours, which may have to be varied (after discussion with the post-holder) subject to the needs of the Family Carers Programme.
Following the advertised closing date, the selection process for the post of Project Worker will consist of short-listing, structured interviews and reference checks and vetting through the National Vetting Bureau.
Person Specification – Project Officer
- Commitment to the values of inclusion and empowerment
- Good motivation, commitment and enthusiasm; and a capacity to work both on one’s own initiative and as part of a team
Experience and Qualifications