Medical Secretary Terminology (FETAC) Level 5
The specific learning outcomes are not grouped into units.
· Explain a range of commonly used medical terms with accuracy.
· Demonstrate the ability to spell medical terms in the context of medical correspondence from recorded speech or transcription from shorthand dictation.
· Interpret instructions correctly.
· Enhance ability to confidently use correct medical terms orally or in writing
· Demonstrate ability to use a typewriter or word processor efficiently to transcribe material from recorded speech or shorthand dictation.
· Recognise the importance of correct usage of medical terms.
· Improve technique in spelling through effective use of a medical dictionary.
· Demonstrate ability to use MIMS (Monthly Index of Medical Specialities) in order to locate correct spelling of drugs.
· Demonstrate competence in producing mailable documents with a medical content with speed and accuracy.
· Demonstrate a theoretical and practical knowledge of basic First Aid Practices.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
· Develop an awareness of the importance of communicating accurate in information in a medical environment.
· Recognise the need for understanding commonly used medical terms
· Demonstrate ability to spell medical terms and expand recognised medical abbreviations.
· Develop good organisational skills.
· Transcribe from recorded speech or shorthand dictation,
· Operating a typewriter or word processor to acceptable business standards.
· Demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness in responding to the medical profession and the public on matters relating to health issues.
· Read and transcribe variable quality manuscript and drafts containing medical material.
· Improve communication skills in dealing with medical personnel and patients.
To enable the Learner to gain the knowledge and command of medical terminology to carry out, with accuracy and speed, the production of specialist medical correspondence. Each section of the module is based on medical specialities.