Code of Good Governance Project
We must acknowledge that Corporate Governance is becoming an increasingly important issue for the community and voluntary sector, particularly in the context of the Charities Act and the upcoming appointment of a Charities Regulator. With this in mind, a number of organisations in the community and voluntary sector have come together to develop a Code of Corporate Governance, which would reflect the need for proportionality in recognition of the size and circumstances of the wide range of community and voluntary organisations in the sector.
Towards the end of 2009 the following organisations came together in a Working Group to develop a Code that would be appropriate and proportionate for our sector:
- Boardmatch Ireland
- Business in the Community Ireland
- Carmichael Centre for Voluntary Groups
- Clann Credo
- Disability Federation of Ireland
- The Wheel
- Volunteer Centres Ireland
- The Corporate Governance Association of Ireland
We are benefiting in this work from a consultation with members of The Wheel in May 2009, experience with similar Codes developed in the Irish development ngo sector (also known as the ‘Dóchas Codes’), the expertise of the Corporate Governance Association of Ireland and the review process recently conducted in the UK regarding their Code of Governance for the voluntary sector. A set of draft principles and implementation guidelines, which reflect the reality of the profile of the wider sector are currently being drawn up.
- All member organisations of the above working group will be invited to participate in a survey of the draft principles and guidelines in the next few months.
- Consultation will take place with other key potential stakeholders including funders and statutory bodies.
- When the Code is finalised it will be disseminated and promoted across the community and voluntary sector.
If you need further information in the meantime please feel free to contact Elizabeth Bolger, Services Manager, The Wheel; Tel: 01 454 8727; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAY 2011 UPDATE
A draft of the Governance Code has now been made public. Please visit the following website for full details: http://www.governancecode.ie/